Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I still miss him


Yesterday was the anniversary of a dark December in 1980. It was the day that John Lennon was murdered by Mark David Chapman. Chapman believed he was being told to do it through JD Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye". Ive read this book many times, and it didnt tell ME to kill anybody, although at times, I feel a little like Holden Caulfeild.

Anyway, on that day in 1980, I was sitting in our family room in the basement of our home, watching tv. I wish I could remember what we were watching, but knowing my mother, it was probably Little House on the Prairie. A ticker across the bottom of the screen actually popped up announcing the news. I was stunned, scared, and saddened. I was 11 years old, but had been a Beatles fan most of my life, thanks to my brother who is 11 years older (ew..creepy, 11 and 11..hmmm, just kidding).

Anyway, for those who do not know, John Lennon was sort of an adopted child, though not legally (I dont think anyway). He was raised by his Aunt Mimi and his Uncle George. His mother and father had split when he was a very small boy, and she gave her son to her sister to raise. Aunt Mimi and Uncle George, by all accounts took good care of the boy; he was loved. He went on to make millions love him. I am one of those millions. He and the other three lads changed the face of music forever. He was an advocate for Peace, and it was pure irony that his life ended by violence.

If you have the mute turned on on your computer, and you like John Lennon, or even if you dont and you just would like to humor me, turn it up and enjoy the two Lennon songs I have added to my music. If I can get them loaded, that is. If I cant, then nevermind.

2 comments:

mary grace said...

I was 6 when John Lennon was murdered, so my biggest memory is through the lens of my father, who mourned the loss with a kind of sadness I had never before seen him muster.

I married a HUGE Beatles fan. We actually own pieces of JL art (http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Scientists-Unlock-the-Mystery-of-the-Sour-Taste-3.jpg) and our wedding photographer worked for the Washington Post and gave us an original photo he had taken of John at home in the Dakota just a few weeks before he died.Add that to the fact that my kiddos think that everyone sings "Watching the Wheels" in their downtime and yeah ... I guess we miss him, too. :-)

obladi oblada said...

Wow, Im envious of the artwork! My kids are getting aquainted with the Beatles. One of Sasha's favorite songs is "Across the Universe" and the boys love "Rocky Raccoon".